LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Student-athletes from all of UK's winter teams combined to earn a total of 49 spots on the Southeastern Conference Spring Academic Honor Roll, the league announced earlier this week.
That list includes former Kentucky basketball standout Alex Poythress (pictured with coach John Calipari), who has now made SEC Academic Honor Roll for the fourth time in his Wildcat career. Last month, the 6-8 forward from Clarksville, Tenn., also was named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-America Second Team. Poythress graduated in just three years with a degree in business marketing and enrolled in grad school during this current school year.
The 2015-16 Winter SEC Academic Honor Roll is based on grades form the 2015 spring, summer and fall terms.
Any student-athlete who participates in a SEC championship sport or a student-athlete who participates in a sport listed on his/her institution’s NCAA Sports Sponsorship Form is eligible for nomination to the Academic Honor Roll. The following criteria will be followed:
(1) A student-athlete must have a grade point average of 3.00 or above for either the preceding academic year (two semesters or three quarters) or have a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or above at the nominating institution.
(2) If a student-athlete attends summer school, his/her grade point average during the summer academic term must be included in the calculation used to determine eligibility for the Academic Honor Roll.
(3) Student-athletes eligible for the Honor Roll include those receiving an athletics scholarship, recipients of an athletics award (i.e., letter winner), and non-scholarship student-athletes who have been on a varsity team for two seasons.
(4) Prior to being nominated, a student-athlete must have successfully completed 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of non-remedial academic credit toward a baccalaureate degree at the nominating institution.
(5) The student-athlete must have been a member of a varsity team for the sport’s entire NCAA Championship segment. Below are the UK athletes named to SEC Academic Honor Roll: Student-Athlete Sport Major E.J. Floreal M Basketball Communication Dominique Hawkins M Basketball Communication Alex Poythress M Basketball Master’s in Sports Leadership Ivana Jakubcova W Basketball Psychology Alyssa Rice W Basketball Business Management Janee Thompson W Basketball Journalism/Communication Alyssa Bertoni Gymnastics International Studies/Political Science Marissa Beucler Gymnastics Journalism Kirsten Canini Gymnastics Biology Katie Carlisle Gymnastics Integrated Strategic Communication Tiara Phipps Gymnastics Psychology Taylor Puryear Gymnastics Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education Cori Rechenmacher Gymnastics Nursing Amy Roemmele Gymnastics Exercise Science Sydney Waltz Gymnastics Integrated Strategic Communication Montana Whittle Gymnastics Exercise Science Billy Azzinaro Rifle Mechanical Engineering Jenna Bethea Rifle Biology Heather Kirby Rifle Equine Science and Management Sonya May Rifle Media Arts and Studies Andrew Miller Rifle Business Management/Marketing Luke South Rifle Mechanical Engineering Tanner Anderson M Swim & Dive Biology Andrew Aviotti M Swim & Dive Finance Scott Crosthwaite M Swim & Dive Communication Samuel Day M Swim & Dive Biosystems Engineering Phillip Emerson M Swim & Dive Finance Matheus Gerotto M Swim & Dive Marketing Jackson Gunning M Swim & Dive Exercise Science Kyle Higgins M Swim & Dive Marketing/Psychology Isaac Jones M Swim & Dive Middle Level Teacher Education Noah Richter M Swim & Dive Mathematics Matthew Roman M Swim & Dive Biology Jacob Smith M Swim & Dive Undergraduate Studies James Stevenson M Swim & Dive Integrated Strategic Walker Thaning M Swim & Dive Marketing Bridgette Alexander W Swim & Dive Exercise Science Kelly Berger W Swim & Dive Elementary Education Kendal Casey W Swim & Dive Economics Courtney Clark W Swim & Dive Interior Design/Marketing Kendra Crew W Swim & Dive Accounting/Business Management Ann Davies W Swim & Dive Undergraduate Studies Allyson Dupay W Swim & Dive Exercise Science Rachael Freeman W Swim & Dive Integrated Strategic Communication Danielle Galyer W Swim & Dive Psychology Rebecca Hamperian W Swim & Dive Marketing/Psychology Frida Jakobsson W Swim & Dive Economics Kate Kelly W Swim & Dive Exercise Science Lindsay Schultz W Swim & Dive Biology
Photo by Jamie H. Vaught