RICHMOND, Ky. – The Eastern Kentucky University men’s basketball team will host in-state rival Western Kentucky on Wednesday night, Nov. 30 at McBrayer Arena at 8:00 p.m.
The game will air live on Fox College Sports Central.
WHAT TO KNOW
- It is the first time WKU has visited McBrayer Arena since Dec. 8, 2007.
- EKU nearly knocked off WKU last year in Bowling Green, but a last-second three-pointer by Justin Johnson lifted the Hilltoppers to an 86-84 victory.
- Senior wing Jaylen Babb-Harrison knocked down six three-pointers and led Eastern with 18 points in last year’s game at WKU.
- Sophomore forward Nick Mayo was voted the OVC Player of the Week on Monday. He averaged 20.3 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.7 assists-per-game last week.
- Mayo currently ranks fourth in the OVC in scoring (19.7 points-per-game).
- EKU (3-4) defeated neighboring Berea College, 92-64, on Saturday night at McBrayer Arena. It was the first matchup between the two Madison County teams since 1997. Mayo led the way in that win with 19 points, nine rebounds, a career-high five assists and three steals.
- Freshman forward Marlon Adams recorded his first-career double-double in the win over Berea, scoring 11 points and grabbing 10 boards. Adams has recorded 12 offensive rebounds in the Colonels’ last two games.
- Another freshman, Parker Chitty, also came off the bench to reach double figures in Saturday’s win. Chitty scored a career-high 10 points and also contributed four assists and three steals.
- EKU, led by second-year coach Dan McHale (pictured), leads the OVC and ranks 22nd in the country in free throw percentage (77.8%). Babb-Harrison (second / 94.1%) and Mayo (fifth / 90.0%) both rank in the top five in the conference in foul shooting.
- This will be the 157th meeting between EKU and WKU. The Hilltoppers lead the series, 113-43, and have won 13 straight over the Colonels dating back to 1987.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
- WKU (3-3) has wins over Alabama State, Jacksonville State and North Carolina A&T this year; however, the Hilltoppers are coming off back-to-back losses at the hands of Washington and UNLV.
- WKU, now led by ex-Mississippi State mentor Rick Stansbury (pictured), was defeated by OVC preseason favorite Belmont, 90-69, on November 17 in Nashville.
- Que Johnson leads WKU at 15.0 points-per-game this season, while Justin Johnson comes in averaging 11.7 points and 9.5 rebounds-per-game.
EKU will host Conference USA power Marshall on Saturday, December 3. Tip is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. ET.
Photos by EKU Athletics & WKU Athletics